RENEW Downtown Woodstock
The City of Woodstock is creating a Downtown Development Plan and they want your help!
The City of Woodstock has taken a number of steps in recent years to sustain and improve the downtown. Building on this momentum, the City is creating a comprehensive Downtown Development Plan to coordinate existing plans and policies, provide a detailed action plan, and outline a clear timeline for implementation. The Downtown Plan will inform the future decision-making processes and successive City Councils will rely on this Plan to ensure future investments in the downtown are well informed, justifiable, and part of a larger strategy.
As part of this process, an integrated Downtown Cultural Plan will assess the City’s cultural assets, programming and facilities (i.e. Library, Museum, Art Gallery and Theatre) and provide a long-term approach to addressing the City’s investment in arts, culture and heritage.
The City has hired Fotenn Planning + Design, with N. Barry Lyon Consulting, Paradigm Transportation Solutions Ltd., Golder Associates and Marnie Peters & Co. This team of industry-leading professionals is well-versed in all aspects of the planning and design of Southwestern Ontario downtowns.
The Downtown Development Plan commenced in January, 2019, with completion anticipated for September, 2019. The study will be completed in three phases, including:
- Phase 1: Background Analysis and Inventory – Through a review of existing policies and processes, and detailed discussions with Key Stakeholders (i.e. Mayor, City Council, City Staff, Downtown BIA, Chamber of Commerce, Advisory Committees, etc.) and the community, we will prepare an analysis outlining the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) related to downtown development. The findings will be summarized in a Background Report.
- Phase 2: Draft Downtown Development Plan – The findings of Phase 1 will be reflected through highly-graphic mapping and illustrations. A series of Priority Recommendations will outline the short, medium and long-term objectives for the City. Each recommendation will be supported by a series of Action Items including timing, costs and resources.
- Phase 3: Final Downtown Development Plan – The findings of Phase 1 and 2 will be consolidated into a Draft Downtown Development Plan. Through discussions with City Staff, a final Downtown Development Plan will be prepared.
They are seeking your input throughout the process, including:
- Public Consultation # 1 (June 18th, 2019) – Your opportunity to provide feedback on the Background Research and SWOT Analysis, and to help inform a Vision and Guiding Principles for the Downtown.
- Public Consultation # 2 (Date not yet set) – Your opportunity to provide feedback on the Draft Key Recommendations and proposed Action Items.
At each of the consultation milestones above, we will provide supplementary opportunities for input two weeks before and two weeks after, including:
- Online Surveys – Providing targeted questions that reflect the materials presented at the Public Consultation.
- Street Stalls – Highly-graphic posters at key community locations outside of the Downtown with opportunities to provide comments via a secure comment box.
- Vox Pops – Manned information booths on the day of the Public Consultation and during key Downtown events (i.e. Summer Street Festival) to engage in informal discussions with the community.
They will also be posting regular updates on the project website: www.letstalkwoodstock.ca Stay tuned!
On Tuesday, September 17th, they will be at the Woodstock Museum from 3:00 – 7:00pm to talk about your vision for Downtown Woodstock! Drop by anytime between 3:00 – 5:00pm for an Open House, or stay from 5:00 – 7:00pm to participate in a hands-on working session with their consultant team.
Want more information?
Visit their website: www.letstalkwoodstock.ca